HIghlights from last year’s #SBSUK campaign
Do you run a small business? If so, what are you doing on Saturday 3rd December?
Are you wanting to increase the profile of your small business? Are you tired of competing against national chain stores, franchises and larger corporate companies? If you’ve not come across Small Business Saturday UK before, we give you the low down on the campaign and how it can help you.
Small Business Saturday UK takes place every year on the first Saturday in December. It’s a non-commercial campaign which encourages consumers to support local small businesses in their area, ‘shop local’ and highlights small business’ successes. The campaign aims not to just have an effect on the day, but also to create an ongoing impact on local independent small businesses. Small Business Saturday UK supports all businesses, whether they are a local retailer, business service provider, small manufacturer or online business. Visit the website here.
How Small Business Saturday UK helps businesses
Small Business Saturday UK helps raise the profile of small businesses in many ways:
• SBSUK provides a marketing pack to businesses including logos and posters to display in the window of their shop or office to make every person who walks by aware of the day.
• Some businesses have special offers or events on the day.
• Businesses can download the SBSUK logo and add to their websites and can promote themselves on the day via their social media profiles, by using the #SmallBizSatUK hashtag and by changing their profile picture to the Small Business Saturday UK logo. Click here to download your marketing pack.
• Leading up to Small Business Saturday the campaign highlights 100 small businesses, one a day for 100 days, on their social media channels (SmallBiz100). See who has been profiled so far.
• There is a ‘Small Business Finder’ section on the website where you can register your small business, in the hope that people in your local community can visit it and find you.
Small Business Finder
As noted above, there is a Small Business Finder section which allows consumers to locate participating small businesses before, during and after Small Business Saturday UK. Businesses register on the site and are added to a database of local independent businesses, searchable by location and the type of business they are. This part of the promotion allows consumers who wish to support the campaign to discover independent retailers and businesses, giving an alternative to the larger chain stores and franchises.
Our mission this year is to encourage as many small businesses and retailers to sign up to the Small Business Finder register. It’s takes about 5 minutes to complete the form, it’s completely free and you’ll be raising your business’ profile by adding your details to a national small business portal. We’ll be launching a social media campaign and will be producing a press release, to encourage the community to visit the website before deciding when to shop. Register your small business now.
To help businesses even further, the Small Business Saturday UK campaign has a programme entitled ‘Inspire Series’ which consists of free talks and workshops, covering many topics to inspire and support new and existing small businesses. See what’s forthcoming here.
There is also a national bus tour, which we participated in last year. The bus travels throughout the UK in October and November. You can meet the SBSUK team, take part in bespoke workshops, and find out about other local small businesses and how SBSUK can help your small business. We met some really inspiring businesses at last year’s bus tour, as well as leading figures from the small business world. We also met a couple of the local MPs. See which town the bus tour is visiting here, and do consider joining in.
“I am a call answering PA”
Following on from the success of last year, the team at SBSUK are continuing with their ‘I am a…’ promotion. They want to hear from your small business! Tweet a photograph of yourself with the caption “I am a…” to join in the fun and raise your profile! We’ll be joining in so watch out for photos of our staff in the coming weeks. Follow them on Twitter and get tweeting your photos!
How SBSUK helped small businesses in 2015:
• £623m spent by customers on small businesses on Small Business Saturday UK 2015 (5th December 2015), an increase of £119m (24%) from 2014.
• #SmallBizSatUK trended on Twitter at number 1 (!) all day with over 100,000 tweets supporting the day and reaching more than 25 million people.
• Over 75% of local councils actively supporting the campaign, including free parking near local businesses and shops, Christmas fairs and small business networking events.
Face for Business’ plans for Small Business Saturday 2016
Our Marketing Manager here at Face for Business, Sara Parker, is the Small Business Saturday Champion for West Lancashire and has supported the campaign since it (and Face for Business) was launched in 2013. Face for Business was profiled in the first ever SmallBiz100 by Small Business Saturday UK and we continue to support SBSUK and other small businesses.
Sara and all of us here at Face for Business are passionate about helping other small businesses get involved in Small Business Saturday UK and shopping local to support independent businesses. Leading up to 3rd December 2016 Sara will be visiting as many local businesses in the West Lancashire area as she can, to encourage them to sign up to the Small Business Finder and to participate on the day by using social media.
Small Business Saturday UK takes place on Saturday 3rd December 2016.
More information on Small Business Saturday UK can be found on their website www.smallbusinesssaturdayuk.com
Face for Business helps and supports businesses of all sizes by providing a professional and efficient call handing service, ensuring your small business never misses an important call.
Take a 7-day free trial with us to discover the benefits we bring to your small business. Complete a free trial form here or call us on 0333 323 1007.
Words: Katie Harris